A number of videos exist showing site explorations and repeater site constructions during the 1980s, WARG's most productive decade. These videos were taken on equipment many times larger and more difficult to operate than todays amazing HD video cameras, but do show some of WARG's activity, particularly site construction  of Tic Hill, Busselton and Cataby.

See old videos below the fixing VK6RTH 2 metres videos

Audio Fault with VK6RTH 2 metres

Audio fault with VK6RTH 2 metres fixed....I hope...!

Part 1 of what's inside VK6RTH 2 metres a converted FM880

Part 2 of what's inside VK6RTH 2 metres a converted FM880

The video above is of the raising of the wind generator's generator, a 12V 30A generator that weighed a lot and is ex-Telstra and believed to have been one of the many that powered the first East-West coax and microwave link across Australia.

The generator worked well providing more power than the site needed but proved un reliable due to blades falling off. It was thought there were balance issues with the blades and balancing parts that were incorrect, causing the problems.

The wind generator was removed after a number of years and replaced with solar power. It has been said that Tic Hill suffers from wind turbulence, wind changing direction often, but this was not seen when the wind generator was operating. If the wind died then the wind generator did tend to turn in various directions as the blades slowed and then stopped, but this was due to lack of wind not turbulence.

This 13 seconds of video is all that I have found so far of the wind generator working at Tic Hill. And what is more it is only a reflection in a car wind screen and another brief shot of the shadow on the ground of the wind generator.

For a few years Tic Hill Had a 12 volt 80 amp standby generator mounted on the roof of the shack. The large wind generator had been in service for a number of years but was becoming unreliable. If the wind generator failed, usually loosing a blade, a site visit was required to start the generator, and it could left running until the petrol ran out.  No remote control but at least better than the batteries going flat. It offered a tempory solution until the wind generator could be fixed.